The Lifestyle Support Service (LSS) program assists adults under the age of 65 living with disabilities, and who primarily use Auslan to communicate. Our goal is to see our participants living in the general community as independently as possible.
LSS services are not limited to people who are Deaf or hard of hearing and are delivered by staff who are proficient in Auslan. By ensuring our staff can communicate with our participants, we aim to reduce the requirement for an Auslan Interpreter in situations where they may not be needed and reduce the strain on our client's interpreting packages.
The Lifestyle Support Service provides Deaf and hard of hearing participants with access to one on one care, helping them learn and develop the skills and the confidence to live independent lives. One on one care is available as a fee for service, or as part of an NDIS package.
We have a strong focus on the development of life skills including training and support in social skills. This service aims to increase social and community participation and help our clients live as autonomously as possible.
Participants work with support workers that are a communication match, with similar interests and temperament to ensure the best possible outcomes.
The Lifestyle Support team provide assistance to clients for everyday activities including:
- Medical and hospital appointments
- Linking with social and sporting activities
This is a holistic approach to person centred care and considers the different support needs for a wide range of participants.
For NDIS Participants
If you are currently approved for an NDIS package you may be eligible for personal care and life skills development support from our LSS Service.
Our core supports for NDIS Participants include:
- Assistance with self-care activities
- Assistance with personal domestic activities
- Individual social skills development
- Individual skills development and training, including public transport training and support
- Life transition planning
- Innovative community participation
- Individual skills development and training
- Assistance with decision making, daily planning and budgeting; and,
- Community participation activities.
If you are interested in accessing this service and receiving care from Lifestyle Support Services please contact us on LSS@deafsq.org.au.