Community Access is a ‘walk in’ service that provides community members direct contact with a CommUNITY team member to assist with information sharing, referrals, advocacy and awareness.
Community Access is available at specific times during the week at a number of locations across the state. This service is culturally and linguistically tailored to the individual and is available to anyone with a hearing loss regardless of age.
Some of the services available during Community Access are:
Information & Referrals:
- Organising interpreters
- Translating letters and documents
- Providing information on local community events and training
- Providing information to service providers, Government agencies, organisations and businesses
- Ensuring Deaf people have equitable access to mainstream services
- Training or assistance with using the National Relay Service, Skype, and more
- Share important information regarding significant changes within Government or new service available, for example
- Use of computers, scanners, printers
This service can be provided face to face or via Video Conferencing and everything discussed during the appointment is strictly confidential.
This service empowers clients to be informed, connected and independent and is an essential part of community engagement and development.
The Community Access service plays an important role in ensuring community members have access to the information and support they require or are provided referrals to other support services and organisations when necessary.
Brisbane: Every Tuesday (1-4pm), Thursday and Friday (9.30am-12pm)
Brisbane North Side: Second and fourth Wednesday of the month (9.30am - 2pm)
Bundaberg: Every second Tuesday of the month (1- 4pm)
Cairns: Every Tuesday (9.30am -12pm) and Thursday (1- 4pm)
Caboolture: Every second Tuesday of the month (10am- 1pm)
Gold Coast: First Monday of every month (1- 4pm)
Ipswich: First and third Tuesday of the month (10.30am- 3.30pm)
Mackay: Every Monday (9.30am - 12pm) and Thursday (1- 4pm)
Maryborough: Every Monday (1- 4pm)
Rockhampton: Every Friday (9.30am - 12pm)
Sunshine Coast: First Monday of the month (10am- 1pm)
Toowoomba: Every Thursday (10.30am- 4pm)
Townsville: Every Tuesday (1- 4pm)
For more information on Community Access, including timetables and locations, see the document below.